What should be in your hiking pack for a day spent working up a sweat in nature? As an avid hiker who has made ALL the mistakes when it comes to preparation, I decided to make a beginner’s essential guide for what to pack for a day hike.
1. Water: water, water, and more water. Depending on the length and difficulty of the hike, I usually have a couple large bottles in my pack and an extra bottle in the car for afterwards. Not having enough water turns an enjoyable day into one you can’t wait to be done.
2. Directions: nothing worse than getting lost before you have even started your day. Have a clear plan of how to get there, what time you need to start the hike by (if it’s an all day event), and a general idea of how long the hike should take.
3. Snacks: food = energy. In addition to eating breakfast beforehand, also pack some snacks to have along the way. Personally, I prefer light snacks since it is exercise.
4. Phone: for multiple reasons. It has a camera, a torch, and in case of emergencies.
5. Sunscreen: because, well, no one likes resembling a lobster after a great day outside.
6. Hat: This is preference, but I usually like to keep the sun off my head/face as much as possible.
7. Change of clothes: for after the hike!
This may seem like a basic list, but trust me if you forget something like, for example water (don’t judge me) it can completely turn the day into a chore.
For more information on hikes so far on Midst of it check out: