Hi, beautiful people! Cozumel is my favourite place on earth. I might be biased because I grew up here and didn’t leave until I was 15 years old, but I am not the only one that says it is one of the most beautiful beach destinations in Mexico and did you know, it has the second biggest reef after Australia? Making it literally heaven for those who love scuba diving!
I owe this place so much. Cozumel has provided me with a clean environment. It has given me that tranquility to easily fit in within the big cities I have lived in. In tough times, it has reminded me of my roots. Cozumel made me realize from a young age that the gorgeous planet we live on should not be taken for granted.
There are just so many positive things I can say about this island so here is my summary!
♥ Caraluna – Bacilos
Hope you enjoy and visit this beautiful place soon!
HOW TO GET TO COZUMEL?
There are a couple of international flights that arrive directly to Cozumel, but you might find yourself first in Cancun. If you do, one of these options will take you to Cozumel:
You can check out the flight itineraries to travel from Cancun to Cozumel on MAYair.
All you have to do is hop on to an ADO bus that you can take from right outside the airport. It will take you to Playa del Carmen (also a fantastic place to visit!) and then from here you can take a Ferry to Cozumel from one of these three companies; Ultramar, Mexico Waterjets, and Barcos Caribe.
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY IN COZUMEL
- HOTEL B COZUMEL: A lovely spot with all rooms overlooking the sea, great location, rooms, and excellent service.
- EXPLOREAN BY FIESTA AMERICANA: This is an all-inclusive hotel, I personally love it with its pretty decorations and relaxed atmosphere.
- WESTIN COZUMEL: This hotel is about to open in a month, but I had to include it because I have stayed in other Westin hotel’s around the world and they are perfect in every aspect, and I know the quality will be the same in Cozumel.
TOP THINGS TO DO IN COZUMEL
- BEACHES- The options are endless, from private beaches where you will have amazing lunches, planned activities and all-inclusive deals to public ones where you can take your food, have a beach picnic and enjoy the majestic ocean and views. I recommend for private beaches Playa Mía Grand Beach and Water Park, and Mr. Sanchos. For public beaches San Martin, and for a local experience El Pescador.
- BOARDWALK – This is one of my favorite activities, walking along it all day and going through the shops, stopping for a bite, having a drink (or maybe two), and also visiting it in the afternoon to watch the spectacular sunsets that grace Cozumel´s west coast almost every day!
- El CIELO – This is the favorite spot for locals and for everyone that knows the secret. It means heaven in English and it will probably be one of the most beautiful beaches with the most breathtaking turquoise/blue water you may ever see in your life. You can get there renting a boat from the ferry pier and you can negotiate a good deal to get there to spend the day. You have to make sure it is a private boat to make sure they are indeed taking you to “El Cielo” and not other places.
- DIVING – Diving options are endless too, but here are a few recommendations; Jardines, La garganta del diablo (for experts), and Pared de Santa Rosa.
- SAN GERVASIO, MAYAN ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE – Some ancient ruins to wet your appetite before you go to visit Tulum or Chichen-Itza.
EXPLORA TOURS – This Company offers tours of all kinds around the beautiful island.I would recommend these 3:
♥Monster jeep tour- Get to the must see hidden ruins and beaches on the island in a monster jeep – the only exciting way to get there! This is loads of fun for the whole family!
♥Cozumel highlights- Snorkel, shop, go around the island and visit Punta Sur national park.
♥Mayan heritage by jeep- Learn from the legacy of the Mayans by visiting Chankanaab, el Pueblo del Maiz and a beautiful beach.
BEST SPOTS TO EAT ON THE ISLAND
This is the part that makes me always so happy and excited, I love to share all these wonderful options with all of you! And just wait for all the full restaurant reviews in Cozumel, coming soon!
- GUIDO’S – This place is incredible, the food is out of this world. They always have specials that include fish, seafood, and meat. I have too many memories from this special restaurant for it not to make it to this list.
- LA COCAY- This restaurant offers Mediterranean cuisine and it just feels cozy, romantic, and perfect.
- PEPE’S – I have solid memories from this restaurant, it has an amazing sea view, in an elegant spot, and offers delicious meals.
- BUCCANOS AT NIGHT – Love this spot, with its ocean view terrace, great vibes, and delicious dining.
- LA CHOZA – Perfect for local cuisine, guacamole to die for, and all kinds of food that will make it hard to go back home.
- LE CHEF – International cuisine with local ingredients, catch of the day and with a chef that you will want to take home and prepare your meals for the rest of your life.
- KONDESA AND KINTA – These restaurants are both from the same owner and chef Kris Wallenta, and they are absolutely worth a visit. Ambiance and decor in both places are lovely, and it offers an interesting menu with options that will make you fall in love even more with this beautiful island.
- EL CAMARÓN DORADO – Best local shrimp tacos, and more awesomeness that I can’t wait for you to try.
OH-MY-GOD please make me stop because I enjoy food too much and this food list can go on forever.
All you have to do is take this little pocket guide and see for yourself what a beautiful place Cozumel is! Cozumel really has it all!
♥♥ADIÓS AMIGOS! ♥♥
Photos credit: Ivan Gonzalez